Friday, April 16, 2010

Dave Ramsey says...

I just got back from my final night of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University (taught via video, not in person).  Dave is a great motivator and a pretty good teacher.  I caught myself at many times thinking, "This guy is getting paid a lot of money to state the obvious".  It's true, most of what Dave has to say is common sense.  Well, I guess it must not be THAT common...I was willing to pay $100 to go and many of you probably have to.

Actually, I highly recommend his class.  Even if you just learn a tidbit here and there, its worth the time and effort.  I like the idea of being able to set a good example for my son.  If I can teach him why credit cards are dangerous and spending cash is safer, I can at least give him a better start in life than what I had.  I'm not saying that I have huge debts that I'll never get out of, but it sure would be nice to be DEBT FREEEEEE...(mimic Dave's radio show here).

So how can we apply this to our job search?  Dave's view of money is somewhat radical by today's standards.  If you run into your next interview screaming "Cash is king" or "Sell the car", you are probably going to need to keep looking for a job.  However, being financially responsible is a great concept for personal and business finance.  Maybe it is time to brush up on cost of capital or the risk of bad debt.  Remember, life-long learning shows that you are serious about continuous improvement.  Employers like to see this in potential candidates.

PS...if none of this made any sense, I highly encourage you to check out Dave Ramsey's Website or pick up his book Financial Peace Revisited.  It's an easy read and it may just make you a millionaire!

0 comments:

Post a Comment